There are many choices when brewing your own iced tea. When choosing a tea to serve iced try thinking outside the box and consider green and white teas as well. Both make wonderful, healthy, cold drinks. In addition to the traditional brewing method (boil your water and brew the leaves), you can also try sun tea and cold brewing.
To prepare sun tea you will need;
1. A glass jar or container, preferably with a top so nothing can land or crawl into your tea
2. 4-6 tablespoons of premium loose-leaf tea (Moroccan Mint Green, Delicious White Lychee, Peach Apricot Black are excellent choices)
3. 8 cups of cold water Place tealeaves in the container, pour the water on top and place the container in bright sun light for approximately 2 hours.
When the tea is ready remove the leaves and serve over ice.
The other method of preparation is cold brewing. With this method, the cold water draws out or pulls the flavour from the leaf as opposed to hot water, used in traditional brewing, which pushes the flavour from the leaf. Subsequently, cold infusion is a much slower, gentle method that results in a smooth, more subtle, naturally sweet tasting tea.
To prepare a cold infusion you will need;
1. A glass jar or container with a top
2. 4-6 tablespoons of premium loose-leaf tea
3. 8 cups of cold water Poured water over the tea leaves and place the container in the refrigerator for 8-10 hours.
When the tea is ready, remove the leaves and enjoy.
One word of caution, brewed tea has a shelf life! Not only can bacteria begin to form but time and exposure diminish the health benefits. Tea stored at room temperature should be kept no longer than 2 days and in the refrigerator no longer than 3 days. And remember, sugar won’t generally dissolve in cold tea so try honey, agave syrup or artificial sweeteners if you like your tea sweet.
Receive our monthly
White Lions Tea House e-mail Newsletter
We'll keep you posted on our events, specials and promotions.
Starting July 2014, check here regularly for:
- Special Events
- Promotions & Specials
- White Lions Tea House News